Dienstag, 20. Mai 2014

The battle of Redmaw Canyon - Outpost Solitude Alpha-20-5-Ostris

Back from the dead with another gaming table/ display merge up.


Introduction
I'd like to start with a few introducing words on how the whole thing came to life.
It was one of these moments in life, when you have this very bad mood, are sure the day will only get worse, when I came to our store and my boss told me there would be an exhibition on the history of tabletop gaming at the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden. That's the biggest bunch of museums and collections we have in Saxony and the day even got better when he told me they wanted me to build a display to show where Tabletop went from flat tin soldiers. I went to competitions, took part in some tournaments but I can't imagine a bigger honor then having something I built and painted there. It was my dream to study arts here in Dresden and countless times I creped through  the exhibitions.

So the first impression was overwhelming.

After some weeks, when the exhibition date came closer and closer and the guys couldn't make up their mind how big the thing should be, how professional it should look and things like that I could finally start last Sunday. I should mention, i have to deliver it this Friday.
The whole thing got smaller and smaller and the fist planned 6 parts were reduced to two. Awesome things like an artificial lake and big industry complexes have to wait for another project. Also they want that you can see, this is crafted and handmade and something people play on, so no high end finish or fancy things like sanding every seem to invisibility. Fits for me, as one week is really short time. But hey, the swamplands were built in two days, we'll get there in the end.


So down to business, what will you see?
I'll build a canyon with a big river, many rocks to act as cover and a big generating station. The whole thing will be red like our all favorite tech planet, Mars himself.

What will we learn?
Some of you already suspected...of cause there will be a video series. Focus points this time will be scratchbuilding and detailing the buildings, some more styrofoam carving with focus on bigger structures.
We try a new earth/sand mixture for a different groundtype then the last time and paint a reddish brown river.
And of cause, we will paint rock and try to achieve the look of different layers, rich in color and diversion.


Technically, they wanted a simple gaming table in the end, but you don't put thoughts of glory and displays in my head without getting something special in the end. How often in a lifetime will one see his work in a museum? So let's get crazy on this one!


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen